Are you a researcher who wants to innovate and discover the commercial applications or services from your own research and technology? Join the Innovation Competition 2023 & win €10.000!
The Innovation Competition (IC) is a training programme organised by Mercator Launch. Do you want to know what it looks like? Check out the video below.
Are you interested? Apply now for the Innovation Competition 2023!
Applications for the 2023 edition of the Innovation Competition are now open. Follow the next steps:
- Download and read the handbook for the Innovation Competition 2023
- Download and fill in the Application form Innovation Competition (one per team). It is mandatory to use your Radboud University email address.
- Upload your filled-in application form below:
Deadline for application: 2 December 2022
Throwback to the Innovation Competition of 2022
Curious about the competitors of last year? Check out the video about the Innovation Competition of 2022 below.
For who is the Innovation Competition?
The Innovation Competition is for all PhD candidates and postdocs at Radboud University and Radboud University Medical Center.
Ideally, you’re in the final years of research and already have an idea of the potential results or technologies that your research will lead to such as a specific material, process, technology, algorithm, knowledge & knowhow.
- The submitted idea/product is new and not already part of a (planned) project.
- The submitted idea/product is ‘owned’ by the applicant.
- For PhD candidates and postdocs: the PI/group leader is informed about the application.
- The money has to be spent for further development of the innovation and has to be spent before 31 December 2023.
What can you expect from the Innovation Competition?
During the programme, you’ll gain the following skills:
- Identify the business potential from your own research
- Understand the value creation process in a very early stage
- Think about your sector’s opportunities from different angles (e.g. customer, marketing, business)
- Translate your research outcome into value for industrial partners
- Develop your entrepreneurial skills
After attending the programme, you’ll submit a pitch deck and present your idea to an independent jury. The best applicant will receive a €10.000 prize to spend on further development of their innovation.
During the Grande Finale – on Thursday 16th of February 2023 from 14:30 until 18:00 – the researchers will pitch their business idea to an expert jury. In addition to the main prize of €10.000, a runner-up and public prize of €5.000 each will be awarded as well. This pre-seed capital will allow the researchers to bring their innovation closer to the market and create impact with their research. In doing so, they will receive additional support of Mercator Launch to further succeed their startup.
- An evaluation committee will be installed with representatives of Radboud Innovation / Valorisation Radboudumc.
- This committee will select the 15 best ideas, who get to hand in their pitchdeck. To prepare the pitch deck, the applicants will be offered an expert training program of 4 days with Hans Westerhof known from EIT Jumpstarter and ClimateLaunchpad.
- The evaluation committee will select 6 finalists, who get to pitch their idea in front of an independent jury and their peers.
- The winner will receive a cash prize of €10.000, business coaching, and a free working space at Mercator Launch for one year. The two runner-ups will receive a cash prize of €5.000